Saturday, June 9, 2012

Should I pledge allegiance...

To the United States of America? This is a question that I have pondered many times over the past couple of years as I approached my eligibility to move my status from being a "Permanent Resident Alien" to a citizen of the country that I have essentially spent my entire adult life living in.
Having married an American and had my "anchor baby", I am not too worried about ever having my Green Card revoked, but do think about the idea of attaining my citizenship. Other then having to cut the checks for the required lawyer and processing fees, there really isn't anything that is an obstacle, having taught American history and civics during the past six years I am pretty sure that I can muster 6 correct answers out of the 10 that are asked!

In teaching civics to students, I am always encouraging them to exercise their constitutional right to participate in the democratic process once they are of age. Is it hypocritical for me to not participate as well? The scary/sad thing is that I am able to pass the citizenship test (all 100 questions), yet know many "natural born citizens" that would struggle to!

As we see the never ending campaign process ramp up with further rhetoric about the voting rolls and who should be allowed to vote in the upcoming election cycle, I continue to weigh the decision about if/when/why I should become an American citizen. Bumper stickers like the one I saw yesterday only makes me want to distance myself from the concept of being American, it read "Welcome to America! Now speak English! If only I could have pulled up next to him ala Wayne's World and made mention that the United States does not have an official language and explain that the ability to communicate effectively in English would be beneficial in this country, however it is not requisite!

All I know is that I if the day comes that I attain my citizenship we won't be playing Lee Greenwood, rather we'll be playing and watching this from my youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment